Monday, August 6, 2012

In Darkness


I just saw Agnieszka Holland's film In Darkness, which is based on the true story of Leopold Socha, a Polish man who helped a group of Jews hide in the sewers beneath Lvov for fourteen months. Films about the Holocaust aren't usually my first choice, but I'm ushering at the film festival this year and I don't get a choice about what to see. That is great, because I wouldn't have decided to buy a ticket to In Darkness and it was incredible. Horrifying and  incredible. I was sitting so tense in my seat, and when the credits rolled I cried like a baby. You think you've seen one Holocaust film and you know what they're like; you know they will be awful and you'll think 'how could humankind watch this happen', but I think you can never be reminded enough of how fucking horrific it was. I can't believe it happened at all, I can't believe it happened so recently, I can't believe this story is true and those people are REAL. I could not be a film reviewer because I don't know what to say about it except aaaaaahh. What is wrong with humanity? Actually, fuck. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Meter